The last two days have been very interesting for me. On the 30 day nutritional cleanse I am doing there are 4 days that are considered "deep cleansing" days. They are split up into 2 days falling on week 2 and week 3. During these days you do not have shakes or food. With that being said you do not totally starve yourself either. You drink a specially formulated drink. take supplements, eat specially formulated snacks and chocolate (yes, chocolate!) and, of course, drink lots of water.
Basically, you are allowing your system to cleanse itself and giving your digestive system a break while also making sure your body has everything it needs to function, stay healthy, and hold on to your muscle mass. So even though you aren't really eating you are still getting the nutrients your body needs.
What was interesting to me about this deep cleanse is that, even if you are not hungry, when you take food away from yourself all these emotions come up. It is really strange! We are so accustomed to the ritual of preparing and eating food that when it is gone it leaves a void that is dying to be filled. I found myself sad, lonely, annoyed, and somber a few times during the cleanse but had no clue why! I took the time to explore these feelings and I discovered that food had become a companion, a confidant, a shoulder to cry on and when it is gone you are left to deal with your emotions head on, so that is exactly what I did. I wrote, meditated, prayed, worked out, and just like that, I felt so much better.
During this cleanse, for the most part, I didn't really feel hungry, however, there were a few times that I felt very hungry. The feeling of having a hungry belly felt so unbearable! Even though I knew I wasn't going to die I still felt like it was the worst thing ever. This got me thinking about discomfort. When I am cold I get a blanket or a sweater, when I am hot I put on shorts or lower the AC, when I am bored I read or watch TV, when I am hungry I eat.
I think we as a society have become so accustom to running from discomfort that we can hardly tolerate even the slightest discomforts yet going through discomfort is how we grow and expand as people! Think about a muscle. To make it bigger and stronger you have to put stress on it, and you are the same way. The less discomfort and adversity we face the less resilient we become. This is the total opposite of what we should be striving for!
The other positive thing that comes from forcing yourself to be a little hungry for an extended period of time is that it allows you to get back in touch with what true hunger feels like. This is a sensation that we have lost touch with as a society because we have been taught to fear it and we have also been taught to mask it with caffeine & diet pills. We are also so used to eating much more food than we need so we never really feel actual hunger. I am happy that I felt hungry because now the feeling of food in my stomach feel much much much more satisfying.
Here I am on the other side of my first ever 2 day deep cleanse and I can honestly say I feel so much better for having done it!! I feel accomplished and proud. I did it! (If you want to do it too or have questions message me here)
- We all have an emotional connection to food (usually negative) and when it is taken away the emotions will bubble up. Expect them, sit with them, explore them, feel them, and let them go.
- Discomfort is okay!! Discomfort helps us GROW! Anyone can be a little hungry for 2 days and survive. It is actually good for you to get back in touch with what real (rather than imagined) hunger actually feels like. It will only make you stronger!
- You have plenty of energy on your cleansing days. I worked out (moderate intensity) on both days and felt fine. No dizziness, nausea, or lethargy.
- You will feel amazing when you are done! Clean, clear and confident. That is enough incentive to stick with it.
Tips for the 2 Day Deep Cleanse
- Follow your cleanse day schedule! Make sure you get in all your drinks and snacks.
- Expect to feel some discomfort but understand that it is temporary. There is no need to fear hunger.
- Be prepared to feel emotional. I wasn't expecting this part. Have a notebook ready and write out what you are feeling to get your emotions out. Take care of yourself, go on a walk, take a bath, mediate, pray, practice self love. These feelings are also temporary.
- Plan to workout just make it low to moderate intensity.
- Drink tons of water! Water is your friend!
- Just know you will feel so much better when it is done. Any discomfort you feel will all be worth it.
- Stay busy! Make sure to plan your deep cleanse on days when you have a lot to do. It will make the time go by much quicker.
I just did my measurements and so far I have lost SEVEN inches off my whole body! I was shocked! I won't list out all my measurements but the one I was most shocked by was my neck! haha! I have lost .5 inches on my neck alone. Who knew I had inches to lose there?
Looking forward to seeing how the next deep cleanse goes for me.
If you have ANY health, fitness, nutrition, weight loss, or spirituality question for me please sent them my way by clicking here I would love love love to hear from you!
Wishing you much love,